Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: NEW Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss

Hello everyone!

I hope your having a great Thursday evening.

I thought I would kick of my blog with a Review/Comparison of the new and improved Revlon Super Lustrous lip glosses. Depending on where you purchase these can average anywhere from $6-$9 and was released with 10 shades in the range.

That being said, the former Revlon Super Lustrous lip glosses are being discontinued, so if you see them on clearance at your local drugstore, snatch them while you can! The new formula, realsed under the same name, is their "new and improved" version!

So whats the difference ?
The new glosses are packaged in a round tube, opposed to a square one, and contain 0.13oz of product, where as in the older version you received 0.2oz.

Aside from the amount of product received, they have also changed the size of the applicator. However, the design is nearly the same except for it is slightly larger on the new ones. Because its slightly larger on the new ones I noticed it was a bit less dense than the original. (not that the originally was hard, just the new ones are a bit softer) Also, the scents are different as well. I wasn't a fan of the original's scent. Some thought it smelled of berries but all I could sense was a plastic like undertone. The new formula however has a light, pleasant fragrance. Similar to vanilla or sugar.

What about the formula?
The new formulation seems to be entirely different. It now contains things good for your lips like avocado oil, which was not in the old formulation. However, there is not any SPF in the new formula as there was in the original. Aside from ingredients, after continuous wear I did notice a difference between the two.

The original formula was thicker, not exactly sticky, but almost tacky like, so it was fairly long lasting. Also, because it was thicker, most of the colors were quite pigmented and very creamy. I really enjoyed this about the originals.
The new formula seems to lack that creamy texture and pigmentation. As you can see in my swatches, 2 out of 3 of the glosses I purchased were more on the sheer side.
However, the sheerness of the gloss did not effect the staying power for me. Both glosses seemed to wear from 2 and a half to 3 hours on me, maybe a but longer for the originals.
Lastly, there are less cream shades than there were in the original line. The new line consists mostly of shimmery or glittery shades.

Original Formula

Left to right: Coral Reef, Pink Pursuit, Pink Afterglow

New Formula
Top to Bottom: Pango Peach, Kiss Me Coral, Pinkissimo

Over all, I think some people will love and some people will hate the new glosses. Those who hate will most likely long for the old formula. I really enjoy both glosses, however I wish they had only released a new line instead of redoing the old formulation. I feel that they are so different they aren't very much like an improved version of the originals, more of an entirely new gloss.

Hope this was helpful!

xoxo,
Glimmer

No comments:

Post a Comment