Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How to Establish your own Skin Care Routine:




Firstly, you will need to identify your skin type. This is generally pretty easy. Is your skin dry, oily, normal, or combination? I myself have normal/oily skin because my T zone does get more oily throughout the day.

Next, do you have acne prone skin? Is your skin dull looking? Do you have dark spots? Dark circles? Wrinkles or fine lines? You need to decide what your goal for your skin is, how you want it to look, and what areas your skin needs help in. Also, decide on your price range. I use a mixture of both high end and low end products, but I don't feel like you have to spend a lot on skin care. There are lots of really really nice products that are inexpensive and work well from the drugstore! But, I also think if there is something to splurge on, it's your skin. You want your skin to look, feel, and be as healthy and beautiful as possible! So if high end products work for you, that's great!

And lastly you need to find products that will work with your skin type and will perform well on your skin, so you can (eventually) get results! That means finding products that react well, feel good, and improve your skin. 

Cleanser - I've tried more drugstore cleansers than I have high end. If you are looking for acne and blemish fighting products hands down Clean & Clear is my favorite. They actually work, and I like that you can feel them working. After you wash your face it truly feels like you've gotten a deep clean that's refreshing without being harsh. Neutrogena also makes some very nice cleansers. If you want something more on the Natural side, the Neutrogena Naturals Line is more gentle, for more sensitive skin. I've also used their Oil Free Pink Grapefruit Acne Wash line in the past, and I do like the facial cleanser, however the line does smell way STRONGLY of grapefruit, so if you're sensitive to that, maybe go another direction. I was loyal to the Clinique Dramatically Different Gel Cleanser for a long time. That was a very nice, gentle cleanser. I would recommend it, but I just needed something with a deeper clean for my skin. 

Toner - Some people say toner is essential in their skin care routine. They swear by it and say it makes a total difference in the health of their skin. Others say its not so necessary and you can do without it. I think if you have acne prone skin or have frequent break outs, you should purchase a toner or astringent. I've tried "calming" and "soothing" and "nourishing" toners and they just don't work. The toners I think make a true difference are the ones made of Witch Hazel and salacylic acid. Those ones really treat the blemish on your skin helping treat them and remove any dirt or impurities from your pores. If you don't have blemish prone skin, but you think a toner would be helpful in your routine, go for it. I wouldn't recommend a toner or astringent for someone with drier  or sensitive skin because they can be harsh and a bit drying.

Moisturizer - Moisturizer is pretty basic. If you have dry skin, go for something a little richer and more hydrating. If you have combo skin, get a thin and lighter moisturizer that isn't greasy. I have combo-oily skin and I LOVE gel and gel-cream moisturizers. Garnier makes some wonderful gel moisturizers for both oily and dry skin. Clean&Clear has also recently released a new hydrating gel moisturizer, which I will have a review posted on next week. I also tried the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer, but I wasn't as loyal to that one. It was really runny and a bit too greasy for me. I think the Dramatically Different Gel Moisturizer would have been a better fit for my skin. 

Exfoliant - Exfoliating your skin is very important. Not only does it remove dead skin cells from the surface of your skin, it helps to achieve glowy skin, it clears your pores, and evens your skin out. If you have sensitive skin, you'll want to find an exfoliator that's not too abrasive. If you have rough/dry skin, you might want to find one that's more abrasive. St. Ives apricot scrub is good for that skin type. It really depends on your skin and how it will react. I recently tried a sample of the Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar scrub and I really enjoyed it! I personally am on the market for a new scrub, so if you have a recommendation, let me know! I'm having trouble getting my hands on a full size of the Freeman's one! Michael Todd True Organics have a few AMAZING scrubs that work well and smell super good too! 

Treatments/Masks - These can make a HUGE difference in your skin. There are so many great masks targeted for tons of different skin types, and you don't have to spend a lot to get a good one. Pick the issue on your skin you want to target. Say... dryness. Then look for a mask that extra hydrating. Freeman's makes so awesome masks, and high end wise I just love Micheal Todd. And the Micheal Todd website tells you what products are best for your skin type!

Any tips you want to share? Leave a comment!

xoxo,
Glimmer 

2 comments:

  1. This is very helpful, I have oily skin and hate to get the wrong products for my face, some can make it more oily, I have recently purchased A Michael Todd Product and Loved it on my skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking time out of your day to comment! So sorry I didn't reply sooner. I do love Michael Todd they make some great products. I wish they were more readily available!

      Delete